Here is each weeks menu for you try and cook at home:
Seed 2 Table recipes - Week 1
Pumpkin and Black Bean Burgers
· 1 eggs
· 1 cup refried beans
· 1 cup pureed butternut squash or pumpkin
. 1/3 cup diced onion
· 1/3 cup diced celery
· 2 cloves of minced garlic
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· 2 tbsp chopped herbs – thyme, rosemary, oregano
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ tsp pepper
· 1.5 cups rolled oats
1. Peel, chop and cook the pumpkin in the microwave until soft (could boil instead). When soft, mash.
2. Add your butternut squash to the beans and set aside.
3. Next saute onion, celery, and garlic in olive oil until tender and near-translucent, adding the minced garlic towards the end to prevent burning.
4. Add the herbs, salt and pepper to the veggies and stir to coat.
5. Beat the eggs and stir into rest of ingredients.
6. Add the freshly sauteed veggies to your beans and squash and stir in your oats.
7. Roll mixture into one ball per person.
8. Refrigerate the burgers for a while to set.
9. Heat oil in the frypan and heat to medium-high, so the burgers sizzle when you add them to the pan!
10. Cook for a few minutes on each side until you're left with a golden crust. and a warm center.
11. Make into burgers with lettuce, cheese, and tomato relish.
Combine ingredients in bread machine. When dough is ready, take out of the machine and leave to rise for a while in a greased bowl.
Punch down and form into buns. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 mins.
• 1.5 kg red tomatoes, sliced
• 2 onions, sliced
• 1 tbsp mustard seeds
• 125 ml white wine vinegar
• 150g sugar
• 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
• 1 pinch of nutmeg
• 2 tbsp cornflour
• salt and pepper
Bring all the ingredients to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about half an hour. Mix the cornflour with a little water, add to the mixture and stir well until thickened.
· 3 apples
· 3 sheets of flaky pastry
· 125g butter, melted
· ¾ cups sugar
· ½ teaspoon cinnamon
· ½ tablespoons flour
· 170ml Sprite
Core and peel apples into eight slices.
Slice pastry into long narrow triangles. Place one apple slice on the wide end of one crescent and roll it up in the crescent.
Place into a greased pan. Continue with other rolls.
In a bowl combine melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour and mix until just combined.
Spoon over each crescent.
Pour Sprite into empty space in the middle of pan (NOT over the crescents).
Bake at 180C for 35 to 40 minutes or until crescents are golden brown.
Seed 2 Table recipes - Week 2
· 1 teaspoons cumin seeds
· 1 yellow onion, chopped
· 1 tablespoon pressed or minced fresh garlic (about 5 cloves)
· 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger (about a 1-inch piece)
· 1 teaspoon garam masala
· 1 teaspoon ground coriander
· 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
· 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
· 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
· 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, with their juices
· 2 cans (14 ounces each) chickpeas (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1. Cook the rice in rice cooker – takes 15 minutes. May have to do two batches. Remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork and season with sea salt to taste.
2. Cook the chana masala: In a large saucepan/frypan, heat the oil over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles upon hitting the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cumin seeds. Toast the seeds for a minute or two, stirring frequently, until the seeds are golden and fragrant. Watch carefully to avoid burning the seeds.
3. Raise the heat to medium and stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook for about five minutes, stirring often. Stir in the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne (if using), and cook for two more minutes.
4. Add the whole peeled tomatoes and their juices. Use the back of a wooden spoon to break the tomatoes apart. You can leave some chunks of tomato for texture.
5. Raise the heat to medium-high and add the chickpeas. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or longer to allow the flavors to develop.
6. Serve over rice.
Cucumber Mint Raita Recipe
· One large (or two medium) cucumbers, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and seeded, then grated
· 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
· 10 large mint leaves, thinly sliced
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
· Salt and pepper
1. Place grated cucumber in a sieve and press with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much moisture as you can. (Alternatively, you can place the grated cucumber in the middle of a clean tea towel, wrap the towel around the cucumber and wring out the excess moisture.)
3. Stir spices and mint into yogurt in a medium bowl. Stir in the grated cucumber. Chill until ready to serve.
1 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves
3 cups cooked diced potatoes
1 cup cooked diced carrot
1 cup peas
5 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp dried coriander
½ tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
pinch chilli flakes
1 tbsp water
2 pkts flaky pastry
Honey dipping sauce
2/3 cup honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water
1. Peel and dice potatoes. Boil until tender.
2. Peel and dice carrots. Boil until tender.
3. Fry onion and garlic in oil for 5 mins.
4. Add all the other ingredients – including potatoes and carrots and combine. Stir over medium heat for a few minutes.
5. Set aside. Heat oven to 180C.
6. Lay out the sheets of pastry. Cut into quarters to make 4 squares per sheet.
7. Put heaped spoonfuls of filling in the center of each square and fold over to make a triangle. Pinch the edges to seal.
8. Bake on greased cookie sheets for 12-15 minutes.
Combine ingredients and serve as a dipping sauce.
Seed 2 Table recipes - Week 3
Make 2 batches of pasta – leave in flat sheets.
Make a batch of tomato sauce
500g cottage cheese
500g sour cream
spinach / silver beet finely chopped
Beat cottage cheese and sour cream together.
Layer the ingredients into a roasting pan.
Spread the bottom with a thin layer of tomato sauce. Layer in one layer of pasta sheet to cover bottom of pan. Spread over half of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle on the spinach. Spread a layer of tomato sauce.
Pasta / cottage cheese / tomato.
Then sprinkle top with grated cheese and small knobs of butter.
Bake at 180C for 30 mins covered with foil, then continue uncovered for 15 mins more.
Fresh Tomato Pasta Sauce
tinned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes
salt and pepper
If you are using fresh tomatoes:
- cut a small cross on the bottom of each one. Put into a large bowl. Pour in boiling water until tomatoes are covered. Leave for 3 minutes. Pour off the hot water and cover with very cold water. Allow to stand for 3 minutes, then pour off the cold water.
- Now the skins should pull of very easily. Remove the skins and trim off any stem etc. Put the skinned tomatoes into a microwave proof bowl and cook on high until softened. (2-3 mins)
Heat a little oil in a saucepan. Add finely chopped garlic and tomato paste. Stir for a minute until you can smell it.
Add the tomatoes. Mash with a masher until all broken up. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Taste and check you like the flavor. Cook stirring a little for 3 minutes.
Cut the basil leaves finely and sprinkle in. Stir.
When the pasta is cooked gently mix meatballs, sauce and pasta together in largest pot until pasta is coated.
Basic Pasta Dough
500 grams flour
2-3 tbs oil
1 tsp salt
Sift the flour into a large bowl. Whisk the eggs oil and salt in another bowl. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour, until it combines into a ball. Turn out onto a dry floured surface, cover hands with flour and knead for about 5 minutes. Form into a ball and test the mixture by pushing a floured thumb or finger into the middle of the ball. It has been kneaded enough if the mixture springs back immediately. Place the ball in a floured bowl and place in fridge to rest for at least one hour.
Apricot Cheesecake Tarts
Preheat oven to 180C
1 cans of apricot halves
250g cream cheese
1 pkt of sweet short pastry
Roll out pastry and line buttered tart pans with baking paper.
Beat eggs, cream cheese and custard together.
Put one spoonful of custard mixture into the bottom of each tart.
Drain apricots and arrange cut down on the custard mixture. (May need to cut in half to have enough for one each.)
Bake 15 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Remove from pan when cooked so they don’t stick or burn.